All eBook titles are available to download at any time, are checked out for a 2 week period, and return automatically. No waiting, and no fines. Perfect.
Some fine print: You may download 3 eBooks per week, beginning on Monday.
How do I get started with Freading?
- First, you need a Connecticut library card (from your hometown library) that’s been registered with HCH Library
- Then, you need an Adobe ID. You might already have one that you created for other purposes. If you’re coming in to have us help you set up (and we hope you do!), bring this info with you if you have it.
- Finally, you’ll need a device to read the eBook. This can include a phone, a tablet, or a laptop or desktop computer.
How does Freading work?
- Browse for a book to read.
- Click “Download EPub”.
- START READING
*You may download 3 Freading eBooks per week. But that’s plenty… right?
Which devices are compatible with Freading?
- PC or Mac computers or laptops work well with IE, Safari, Chrome and Firefox browsers. Apps allow use on the iPhone or iPad and most Android tablets and phones. Tablets that have been tested include iPads, Samsung Galaxy, Sony, Toshiba, Acer, Nexus and Motorola Xoom.
- You can transfer an eBook via a computer and Adobe Digital Editions, which will enable you to use the Nook devices, the Sony reader and the Kobo reader. We suspect there are more compatible ereaders. For a list of devices supported by Adobe Digital Editions, click here.
- Freading is compatible with Nook HDs. However, the “Get Books” feature may not work reliably on these devices due to modifications with their operating systems. If you experience this, please use an external browser to go to your library’s Freading page and download books into our Freading app. We recommend using Opera, Dolphin, or Firefox.
This might seem confusing. If you have questions, stop by the Reference Desk any time! Even better to call ahead (860-669-2342), and we’ll be waiting for you.